Why We Ask Questions

Why We Ask Questions
We can ask questions because we can have sure answers

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Mercy cannot rob Justice"

As y'all might know, I am a missionary, and in one of the lessons that we teach, called the Plan of Salvation, we talk about something called the Atonement. Recently the people we have been talking to and teaching have had questions concerning what is taught in this particular lesson. To demonstrate this point, we use an analogy found in the Bible.

The story is that of a man who wishes with all his heart to own something which is very much out of his reach. In wanting it so badly, he goes into debt, promising to pay off his debt to the creditor when the date comes that the money will be due. The days go by, and the debtor relishes in his newly owned possession, forgetting the about the day in which the money will be due. Yet the day does come, when the creditor comes to collect what is rightfully owed to him. The debtor must admit that he has not paid in full what he said he would when he signed the contract. The creditor tells him he will be sent to debtor's prison, and his possessions will seized. In anguish the debtor cries out, "Will you not extend mercy?" The creditor replies, "I do not believe in mercy, for it robs justice."

So here we are, with the two sides: On the one hand, the creditor should get what was promised in the contract, yet mercy should be extended to the debtor. How can both sides receive what they want?

The Mediator.

A friend of the debtor comes and explains to the creditor, that he will pay in full what the debtor owns, if he will in return release the debtor from prison. The creditor agrees, and the debtor is released. The friend then says to the debtor, "Your possessions now belong to me, I will allow you to work off the debt and retain possession of your items again. I will set the terms of the agreement, it will not be easy, but it will be possible."

What a wonderful blessing to be able to have a mediator. Christ is our mediator with the Father. When we sin and we do things wrong, we cannot enter into God's kingdom, but with the help of Christ, we can be forgiven of our sins as we turn our hearts to him and repent. Christ has set the terms of the agreement, and he has said, "It will not be easy, but it will be possible."

I want to bear my testimony, that I know of a surety, that because of the Atonement of the Savior in which he suffered for the sins of the world, I can be forgiven of my sins. I know that if I do my part and turn my heart to him and repent, my debt can be forgiven. It may not be easy, but it is possible.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1977/04/the-mediator?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment